Man gets death for killing girl in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: A court in Orissa Friday awarded the death sentence to a man who killed his 10-year-old granddaughter because he believed her death will fetch him a good harvest.
The sentence was handed to Rajesh Hembram by an additional sessions judge at Kuchinda town, about 400 km from here, in Sambalpur district, a police officer in the court said.
Hembram, 53, beheaded Bernaka Kandulana with an axe, collected her blood and mixed it with paddy seeds thinking it would lead to a good harvest.
The barbaric incident took place April 26 last year in the tribal-populated Adapathar village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?