Man gets death for rape, murder in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A man has been sentenced to death in Odisha for the rape and murder of an elderly woman two years ago.
District and Sessions Judge K.C. Mohapatra Monday awarded the sentence to Mishro Parija at the district headquarters town of Nabarangpur, 560 km from here, after examining 18 witnesses, government lawyer Prakash Mishra said.
According to him, 25-year-old Parija raped the 60-year-old woman in a cattle grazing field near Kesarbeda village of the district Feb 27, 2011. He then throttled her to death.
Villagers caught him when he was shifting the dead body to a local cremation ground. He was arrested and charged based on a complaint from the victim`s son.
Parija is the second man in Odisha to have received a death sentence this week for rape and murder. On March 22, a court in Jharsuguda, about 370 km from here, had awarded capital punishment to a 22 year-old man who was found guilty of murdering a minor girl and having sex with her body in October 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons