Man gets death for rape, murder in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A man has been sentenced to death in Odisha for the rape and murder of an elderly woman two years ago.
District and Sessions Judge K.C. Mohapatra Monday awarded the sentence to Mishro Parija at the district headquarters town of Nabarangpur, 560 km from here, after examining 18 witnesses, government lawyer Prakash Mishra said.
According to him, 25-year-old Parija raped the 60-year-old woman in a cattle grazing field near Kesarbeda village of the district Feb 27, 2011. He then throttled her to death.
Villagers caught him when he was shifting the dead body to a local cremation ground. He was arrested and charged based on a complaint from the victim`s son.
Parija is the second man in Odisha to have received a death sentence this week for rape and murder. On March 22, a court in Jharsuguda, about 370 km from here, had awarded capital punishment to a 22 year-old man who was found guilty of murdering a minor girl and having sex with her body in October 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH