Man murders family, commits suicide in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A 45-year-old man killed four members of his family before committing suicide in Odisha`s Keonjhar district early Tuesday, police said.
The incident took place at Ganda Barai village, about 265 km from here.
Srikrishna Mahanta killed his wife (40), daughter (16), son (14), and elder sister (50) with an axe while they were sleeping before setting himself and the bodies of his family members on fire, Baidyanath Sahu, a senior district police officer, told a news agency.
Although the reason behind the tragedy is yet to be ascertained, a prelimanary inquiry pointed out that the man doubted his wife`s integrity and was also upset over his daughter`s failure in the Class 10 board examinations, Sahu said.
"We have recovered all the five charred bodies and sent them for autopsy," the officer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre