Man sentenced to 18 months RI for attempt to rape actress
Bhubaneswar: Thirteen years after the crime, a Fast Track court here has sentenced a man to rigorous imprisonment for 18 months for attempting to rape Bollywood actress Archana Joglekar.
While convicting Bhubanananda Panda alias Bhubana yesterday, Fast Track Court Judge Aditya Prasad Sahu also imposed a fine of Rs 1,500 on him for the crime.
In case of non-payment of fine, the convict would have to undergo an additional jail term for six months.
According to the prosecution, the incident which took place on the night of November 30, 1997 during Archana`s stay at the state-run `Pantha Nivas` here. The actor had come to Orissa for the shooting of an Oriya film.
Soon after she had returned to her room, Bhubana had approached Archana for an autograph, they said.
The accused attempted to rape the actor when she opened the door, they said adding Bhubana fled the place when Pantha Nivas staff rushed to the room hearing Archana`s alarm.
A case was registered with the police following a complaint lodged by Archana and Bhubana was arrested on December one.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan