Maoist area commander killed in encounter
Koraput: A Maoist leader was gunned down during a fierce encounter with security forces in a forest in Odisha`s Koraput district this evening, police said.
The ultra, identified as Teli Kadraka, was killed in the gunbattle with jawans of Special Operation Group (SOG) and police in Badamatura forest of Bandhugaon area, Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Y J Rao said.
The body of the rebel, an area commander of Jhanjabati Area Organising Committee of Maoists, has been recovered, he said adding that a gun, some ammunition and naxal materials were seized from the spot.
The encounter took place when some ultras present in the forest were spotted by the security personnel during a combing operation, police said.
Other members of the naxal group, however, managed to escape, they said.
Steps have been taken to intensity combing operation and patrolling in the entire area after the exchange of fire, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31