Maoist area commander killed in encounter
Koraput: A Maoist leader was gunned down during a fierce encounter with security forces in a forest in Odisha`s Koraput district this evening, police said.
The ultra, identified as Teli Kadraka, was killed in the gunbattle with jawans of Special Operation Group (SOG) and police in Badamatura forest of Bandhugaon area, Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Y J Rao said.
The body of the rebel, an area commander of Jhanjabati Area Organising Committee of Maoists, has been recovered, he said adding that a gun, some ammunition and naxal materials were seized from the spot.
The encounter took place when some ultras present in the forest were spotted by the security personnel during a combing operation, police said.
Other members of the naxal group, however, managed to escape, they said.
Steps have been taken to intensity combing operation and patrolling in the entire area after the exchange of fire, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far