Maoist bandh evokes partial response in Malkangiri
Malkangiri (Orissa): A bandh called by
Maoists in protest against the killing of a woman naxalite in
a recent encounter with securitymen evoked lukeworm response
in Orissa`s Malkangiri district on Thursday with partial impact at a
few known rebel strongholds.
While some private buses were plying along various
routes in the Maoist-hit district, government buses remained
off the road, official sources said.
Life in towns, including the district headquarter of
Malkangiri, remained normal, while Maoist-hit areas like
Kalimela, Motu, Padia and MV-79 were partially affected.
Security was tightened across the district with
deployment of personnel in strength in sensitive areas and
stepped-up patrolling, police said.
While the district`s borders were sealed, special
security measures were taken at government offices, police
stations, prisons, armouries and arms depots and other vital
installations, they said.
"Strict vigil is being maintained and police is ever
ready to fight the Maoists," Superintendent of Police,
Malkangiri, Anirudha Singh said.
The Naxal unit of Malkangiri, which called the
shutdown, accused the state of failing to fulfill their
14-point demands though assurances had been given to secure
release of District Collector R V Krishna, abducted by naxals
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!