Maoist camp busted, area commander held after gunbattle
Bhubaneswar: Police and security forces destroyed a Maoist camp on the Odisha-Jharkhand border Friday and arrested a rebel area commander and his bodyguard at the site with weapons, police said.
Based on a tip-off, a joint team of both the states raided the rebel camp on a hilltop in Sundergarh district, about 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, a senior district police official told IANS.
Police arrested Surya Don and his bodyguard after a brief exchange of fire. About 13 other rebels escaped, he said.
Police seized a dozen rifles, 200 bullets and two hand-grenades.
Surya is a local area commander of People`s Liberation Front of India (PLFI), a Maoist group active on the Odisha-Jharkhand border. He has been involved in series of crimes in the region including dacoities, murders and extortions, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi