Maoist camp busted, area commander held after gunbattle
Bhubaneswar: Police and security forces destroyed a Maoist camp on the Odisha-Jharkhand border Friday and arrested a rebel area commander and his bodyguard at the site with weapons, police said.
Based on a tip-off, a joint team of both the states raided the rebel camp on a hilltop in Sundergarh district, about 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, a senior district police official told IANS.
Police arrested Surya Don and his bodyguard after a brief exchange of fire. About 13 other rebels escaped, he said.
Police seized a dozen rifles, 200 bullets and two hand-grenades.
Surya is a local area commander of People`s Liberation Front of India (PLFI), a Maoist group active on the Odisha-Jharkhand border. He has been involved in series of crimes in the region including dacoities, murders and extortions, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city