Maoist create link between units of Chhattisgarh, Odisha
Ranchi: The Maoists were able to create a `corridor` between jurisdictions of two of their committees by penetrating into three districts of eastern Chhattisgarh and consolidating in as many districts of western Odisha, according to an official document.
The Maoists have formed the Chhattisgarh-Odisha Border State Committee with three divisions to operate in eastern Chhattisgarh districts of Mahasamund, Gariaband and Dhamtari and western Odisha districts of Bolangir, Bargarh and Nuapada.
This was revealed in a letter sent to 13 states, including Jharkhand, by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs on Maoists` efforts to expand in new areas of various states.
"This has helped create a corridor between the Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee area on the one hand, and Bihar-Jharkhand-North Chhattisgarh Special Area Committee area on the other," the letter said.
It pointed out that the heightened Maoist activities in western Odisha could be gauged from 30 incidents that had occurred in Bolangir district last year.
This level of Maoist activity can be comparable to that in Malkangiri district situated in southern Odisha, a stronghold area of the rebels.
"From virtually non-existent levels of violence in 2011, there has been a considerable increase in violence in Bolangir, and to a lesser extent in Bargarh district (in 2012)," the letter said.
The Maoist consolidation in this area was needed "to be closely monitored in view of the party`s (CPI-Maoist) plans to convert Sunabeda forest area in Nuapada district (in western Odisha) into a base area," the letter said.
The letter is based on an intelligence assessment as on March 8 on the Maoists effort at expansion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi