Maoist deputy commander killed in gunbattle
Bhubaneswar: A deputy commander of a local wing of the Communist Party of India-Maoist was killed in a gunfight with security forces early Saturday in Orissa`s Keonjhar district, police said.
Sunil was the second in command of the Kalinga Nagar division of the banned outfit.
A joint voluntary force of mineral rich Keonjhar and its neighbouring Jajpur district raided a Maoist camp near Pandapada village, about 280 km form here. The forces retaliated when the rebels opened fire at them.
During the exchange of fire, the Maoist deputy commander was killed while other rebels fled to a nearby forest, a police officer told a news agency.
A revolver, a country made gun, some detonators and other camp articles were seized from the site. No causality or injury has been reported from the police side.
Maoists are active in more than half of the state`s 30 districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal