Maoist ideologue gets bail, unwilling to leave jail
Bhubaneswar: Ganti Prasadam, a Maoist ideologue whose release was sought by the rebels in exchange for an abducted Orissa collector, was Wednesday granted bail but is unwilling to leave jail till the government takes steps to release his nearly 600 jailed comrades, a mediator said Wednesday.
Police sources confirmed that Orissa High Court had granted Prasadam bail.
But Dandapani Mohanty, one of the mediators appointed to defuse the hostage crisis, said Prasadam will not leave prison until and unless the government takes steps for the release of over 600 people languishing in various jails in the state on charges of being involved in Maoist activities.
Malkangiri District Collector R. Vineel Krishna and junior engineer Pabitra Mohan Majhi were abducted by the Maoists Feb 16. The Maoists, in a letter to the government, listed as many as 14 demands for the safe release of the two hostages.
The demands included halting anti-Maoist operations by security forces, release of all political prisoners, scrapping of accords with multi-national companies for land transfer and projects, and compensation for the families of Maoist sympathisers killed in police custody.
The Maoists Wednesday released the junior engineer a day after the government agreed to all their demands after holding negotiations for three days in the state capital with the three mediators - Mohanty, and academicians G. Haragopal and R. Someswar Rao, chosen by the rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof