Maoist kill local leader in Odisha
Malkangiri: Suspecting him to be a police informer, Maoists have killed a local leader in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, police said here on Monday.
Kosa Madhi (38) of Sangel village under Kalimela police station, secretary of local Panipanchyat, was kidnapped by the ultras on Friday when they triggered a blast with explosives and destroyed the bridge over river Poteru apparently to stop movement of security personnel between Kalimela and Padia.
Madhi was produced before the `Kangaroo Court` and killed by the ultra for acting as a police informer, villagers alleged.
His body was spotted by the villagers today.
On Friday, the Maoists had looted the house of a special police officer (SPO), Lacha Madkami, one of Madhi`s relations, of the same village.
Superintendent of police, Malkangiri, Akhileswar Singh said they have got the information about the incident and inquiry was continuing.
Police had unconfirmed information yesterday that Madhi was released by the ultras. But it turned out to be worng, he said.
Maoists have become vengeful and are trying to create terror among the people in the face of heightened action against them by police through raids and combing operation in the district. Besides, they are worried due to surrender of their cadres before the police, he said.
Meanwhile, the four-day bandh call given by Maoists in Malkangiri and adjoining Koraput district demanding halt to police action and alleged attrocity against tribals had entered the third today affecting normal life in Maoist hinterlands including Padia, Kalimela and Motu areas.
However, there was hardly any affect noticed in Koraput district due to the bandh, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore