Maoist kill local leader in Odisha
Malkangiri: Suspecting him to be a police informer, Maoists have killed a local leader in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, police said here on Monday.
Kosa Madhi (38) of Sangel village under Kalimela police station, secretary of local Panipanchyat, was kidnapped by the ultras on Friday when they triggered a blast with explosives and destroyed the bridge over river Poteru apparently to stop movement of security personnel between Kalimela and Padia.
Madhi was produced before the `Kangaroo Court` and killed by the ultra for acting as a police informer, villagers alleged.
His body was spotted by the villagers today.
On Friday, the Maoists had looted the house of a special police officer (SPO), Lacha Madkami, one of Madhi`s relations, of the same village.
Superintendent of police, Malkangiri, Akhileswar Singh said they have got the information about the incident and inquiry was continuing.
Police had unconfirmed information yesterday that Madhi was released by the ultras. But it turned out to be worng, he said.
Maoists have become vengeful and are trying to create terror among the people in the face of heightened action against them by police through raids and combing operation in the district. Besides, they are worried due to surrender of their cadres before the police, he said.
Meanwhile, the four-day bandh call given by Maoists in Malkangiri and adjoining Koraput district demanding halt to police action and alleged attrocity against tribals had entered the third today affecting normal life in Maoist hinterlands including Padia, Kalimela and Motu areas.
However, there was hardly any affect noticed in Koraput district due to the bandh, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered