Maoist kill SI in Malkangiri in Odisha
Malkangiri: Even as talks were in progress for the release of two Italians abducted by
Maoists in Odisha, the rebels shot dead a Sub-Inspector of police in Malkangiri district today, police said.
Sub-Inspector K C Rath was shot dead by about four
ultras when he had gone to a market place at Khairput, about
60 km from here, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Anirudh
Rath (57), posted in Mudulipada police station which
operates from Khairput, was accompanied by a personnel of the
Special Operation Group (SOG) force when the assailants
suddenly appeared on the scene and fired at him.
The SI, who belonged to Nawarangpur, was immediately
taken to the local hospital where doctors declared him brought
dead,Inspector-in-charge of Khairput police station Rajesh
Chatria Kumar said.
After the killing the killers disappeared into the dense
forest nearby shouting slogans like "Maoism Zindabad" which triggered panic
in the area. Many people were seen running helter skelter
after hearing the sound of gunshots, eyewitnesses said.
BSF jawans have rushed to the spot and cordoned off
the entire market place, official sources said adding that
the body had been sent for post-mortem.
The killing took place at a time when talks were on
between Maoist mediators and state government representatives
for safe release of two Italians taken hostage by red rebels
in Kandhamal district on March 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened