Maoist killed in Odisha gun battle
Bhubaneswar: A Maoist carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh on his head was killed in a fierce gun battle with police in Odisha`s Koraput district, an official said Monday.
Puno Uluka alias Khatru died in exchange of fire at Narayanpatna late Sunday, Inspector General of Police (South Western Range) Yaswant Jethwa told IANS.
Uluka, an active member of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist, was suspected to have played a key role in a number of murders and other violent crimes in both Narayanpatna and Bandhugaon area, he said.
Maoists are active in more than half of the state`s 30 districts. The district of Koraput, over 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, is considered one of their strongholds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway