Maoist killing four BSF personnel, act of frustration: Police
Koraput (Odisha): The recent landmine blast triggered by Maoists killing four BSF personnel in Koraput district of Odisha is seen by police as an act of frustration by the Red rebels.
In recent times, frequent combing operations by BSF, Special Operation Group (SOG) and district voluntary force in the forests of Narayanpatna, Bandhugaon, Machkund and Boipariguda have been able to contain the Maoist menace to a great extent, a senior police official said.
Moreover, no major offensives by the ultras were reported in the district in the past few months.
"Frequent raids on Maoist hideouts, arrests and seizure of huge cache of explosives and arms have proved to be a major setback for Maoists. Pushed to the wall, they executed a major offencive," said a senior officer engaged in anti-extremist operations in Koraput.
The Red rebels have also suffered a jolt with over 2,000 tribals deserting the Maoist-backed Chasi Muliya Adivasi Sangh (CMAS) in past eight months and returning to mainstream.
Four BSF personnel were killed and three others injured when Maoist ultras ambushed their vehicle in an IED blast on August 27 in the district.
"Maoists have adopted terror tactics to regain their lost ground in the district. But we will intensify our drive thwarting all attempts by Maoists to reorganise themselves," said Koraput Superintendent of Police Awinash Kumar.
Though police have achieved success in their fight against extremism in the district and killed Maoist leader Madhav on August 23, the rebels still rule the roost in remote parts of Narayanpatna, Bandhugaon and Machkund.
Around 35 to 40 armed Maoists, including secretary of Srikakulam-Koraput division of CPI (Maoist) are camping in the forests of Koraput.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram