Maoist leader Sabyasachi in Berhampur jail, security tightened
Berhampur: Security has been tightened in and around the Berhampur circle jail here with top Maoist Sabyasachi Panda lodged in it.
Panda was sent to the jail on Friday when his nine-day remand with the Crime Branch (CB) in connection with certain cases pertaining to the Maoist attack on Nayagarh in February 2008 ended.
"Two warders guard the cell where the Maoist leader is lodged," said a senior jail officer.
Armed police forces have been deployed outside the jail. Police are also keeping an eye on the movement of persons near the jail.
Panda along with 13 other Maoists was lodged in the jail. However, some were transferred to Bhanjanagar jail as their trial is on in a court there.
The CB is seeking further remand of Panda in connection with a case of his alleged involvement in certain Maoist related cases in Kandhamal.
The sub-divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM), Berhampur, has allowed SDJM of Baliguda (in Kandhamal district) to take him on remand for 10 days.
The court hearing a petition filed by Panda`s counsel Deepak Patnaik seeking medical treatment for his `unwell` client directed the jail authorities to treat him according to the rules in the jail manual.
Panda, the chief of Odisha Maovadi Party, was arrested on July 17 from Magalavarampeta under Bada Bazaar area here and Berhampur police had taken him on 10-day remand to interrogate him.
On July 30 CB took him on remand to Cuttack in connection with cases number 42/2008 (attack on Nayagarh police station) and 43/2008 (attack on police reserve office and loot of Nayagarh district armoury).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader