Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda escapes again
Berhampur: Odisha`s most wanted Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda managed to give the slip once again after a fire-fight with security forces in a jungle in Odisha`s Ganjam district on Saturday.
The security forces learnt about the camp during a combing operation by the police and district volunteer force in a forested area on the border of Ganjam and Kandhamal districts, police sources said.
When the security forces closed in on the camp, the Maoists started firing and Panda escaped, the sources said.
At least eight persons, including Panda, were present in the camp during the exchange of fire and some of them might have been killed in the gun-battle, they said.
The camp operated by Panda, the chief of the Odisha Maowadi Party, was destroyed, DIG, Southern Range, Amitabh Thakur said.
"The search operation is going on to locate bodies in the jungle, if any," Superintendent of Police, Ganjam, Ashish Kumar Singh said.
Several arms and ammunition, rations, nine kit bags and several personal belongings were recovered from the camp.
"We are yet to make a list of the seized items. The details will be known only after completion of the operation," the SP said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan