Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda escapes again
Berhampur: Odisha`s most wanted Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda managed to give the slip once again after a fire-fight with security forces in a jungle in Odisha`s Ganjam district on Saturday.
The security forces learnt about the camp during a combing operation by the police and district volunteer force in a forested area on the border of Ganjam and Kandhamal districts, police sources said.
When the security forces closed in on the camp, the Maoists started firing and Panda escaped, the sources said.
At least eight persons, including Panda, were present in the camp during the exchange of fire and some of them might have been killed in the gun-battle, they said.
The camp operated by Panda, the chief of the Odisha Maowadi Party, was destroyed, DIG, Southern Range, Amitabh Thakur said.
"The search operation is going on to locate bodies in the jungle, if any," Superintendent of Police, Ganjam, Ashish Kumar Singh said.
Several arms and ammunition, rations, nine kit bags and several personal belongings were recovered from the camp.
"We are yet to make a list of the seized items. The details will be known only after completion of the operation," the SP said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!
- AgustaWestland deal: Congress says govt trying to vilify its leaders
- Arvind Kejriwal admits for first time, odd-even not a long-term remedy
- European Central Bank scraps 500-euro note