`Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda`s arrest a drama`
Bhubaneswar: The outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist has said the July 18 arrest of top rebel leader Sabyasachi Panda in Odisha was "a state-sponsored drama".
Ajay, who claimed to be the spokesman of the CPI-Maoist`s Andhra-Odisha border special zonal committee, in a statement on Wednesday said Panda was working for the state government and police after his expulsion from the party two years ago.
He was providing information on Maoist activities to the police and the state government after forming an organisation called Odisha Maoist party, the spokesman said.
"Sabyasachi`s arrest is an eyewash, a drama," the Maoist spokesman said in the one-page release written in Odia, the state`s official language.
"In the name of encounter", police raided Panda`s hideouts. He had prepared grounds to get his men arrested in connivance with the police after surrendering all looted arms, Ajay said.
Sabyasachi Panda was arrested from Berhampur town in Odisha July 18. There was a reward of Rs 5 lakh on him.
He was involved in a number of cases like the Nayagarh and R Udayagiri armoury loots, killing Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati, abduction of two Italian nationals and in many other cases, leading to the killing of 25 security personnel and 34 civilians, police said.
Panda is currently in a 10-day police custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack