Maoist shot dead in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A member of the Maoist People`s Liberation Front of India (PLFI) group was gunned down by police in Odisha on Monday, a day after a ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) worker was allegedly killed by the group, an official said.
Acting on a tip-off, a special police squad raided the PLFI hideout at Sundergarh district`s Udugaon village, about 500 km from the steel city of Rourkela, Deputy Inspector General of Police Jaswant Singh Jethwa told reporters.
The police retaliated when the gang members opened fire at them.
While one PLFI member was killed, four others of the group, including their leader, Dilip Singh, were injured, Jethwa said.
The injured extremists have been admitted to a hospital. A group member has been detained for interrogation, he said.
Police have recovered several weapons, including an AK-47, one self-loading rifle and pistol and about 126 bullets.
PLFI is a Maoist group active on the bordering area of Odisha and Jharkhand. The group had claimed responsibility for the killing a BJD worker in the region a day ago.
Hardeep Singh, 43, was kidnapped by the PLIF members on Saturday evening when he was on way home from a road construction site. His bullet riddled body was found a day later near Bileigarh village in the same district.
The PLIF is responsible for a series of crimes in the region, including extortion and murder, in the region, Jethwa added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened