Maoist surrenders before police in Odisha
Malkangiri: A hardcore Maoist, allegedly involved in many offences including attacks on security forces, surrendered before the police in Odisha`s Malkangiri district Tuesday.
The ultra, identified as Sandip Madhi alias Sunil (25) of Motu area of the district, decided to give up arms due to illness and disillusionment with activities of Maoists, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
After joining the Maoist outfit in 2006, Sandip had played an active role in many violent incidents including an encounter with police at Pujariguda, he said.
The rebel was also involved in Nayagarh mayhem involving attack on police armoury and other establishments, attack on a camp of Odisha State Armed Police (OSAP) and exchange of fire at Badigata, the SP said.
After remaining active in Kalimela region for over six years, Sandip gradually moved away from Maoist activities because of illness, police said, adding that he was also disillusioned with the activities of Maoists.
Finally, Sandip quit the cadre in 2012 and went into hiding to escape both the police and Maoists before deciding to surrender before the police and return to the social mainstream, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...