Maoist surrenders in Odisha
Malkangiri: A hardcore Maoist, wanted in conection with landmine explosions and other criminal activities, surrendered before the police in Malkangiri district on Thursday in protest against the "harassment by Maoist elements from outside the state".
The ultra, identified as Deba Padiami (30), had joined the Maoists about five years ago and functioned as area commander of Kalimela-Motu Maoist Dalam for the last three years, police said.
Padiami, who hailed from Kalimela area of the tribal dominated district, surrendered before superintendent of police Anirudh Singh, the police said.
The ultra decided to return to the mainstream in protest against the "harassment and neglect of Odisha cadre by Maoists from outside the state, particularly those from Andhra Pradesh", the police said.
Padiami would be rehabilitated as per the policies framed by the state government for surrendered Maoists, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016