Maoist-TPC encounter in Jharkhand, 15 dead: Police
Medininagar: An encounter took place between two rebel outfits, Tritiya Prastuti Committee (TPC) and CPI(Maoist) in Palamau district in the early hours today, in which at least 15 TPC men were killed, police said.
However, no body was recovered and a search operation is on, they said. "People of Kouriya village informed us that 15 or 16 TPC naxalites were killed by the Maoists after an exchange of gunfire. The villagers said all the bodies were carried away by other TPC ultras who also took away the weapons of the dead," Superintendent of Police of neighbouring Latehar district, Michael S Raj said.
Raj is leading the search operation for bodies as Palamau SP Y S Ramesh is on leave. Asked whether any ultra from the CPI (Maoist) was killed, he said they had no information on that.
Earlier, Deputy Inspector General of Police (Palamau Range) Ravi Kant Dhan told reporters here that the incident occurred between 2 AM and 3 AM at a spot, about 55 km from here.
A couple of years ago, the TPC ultras had killed ten Maoists in neighbouring Chatra district. The TPC is a splinter group of the CPI (Maoist).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Became an actor by accident: Johnny Depp
- Schools, colleges shut in rain-hit Karnataka district
- NT Awards 2016: Zee News wins five awards in various categories
- AAP advertising budget less than money spent on PM Modi's clothes: Arvind Kejriwal
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)