Maoist ultra killed in encounter in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Security personnel Friday gunned down a Maoist ultra during an encounter with the rebels at a forested area under Khaprakhol police station in Odisha`s Bolangir district.
"Acting on a tip off, we launched a combing operation in the morning with the CRPF jawans and traced a camp in the area. As soon as the rebels felt our presence, they opened unprovoked firing on our personnel. But our forces strongly retaliated," DIG (Northern range) Sanjay Kumar told reporters.
One body was recovered from the spot, he said.
Police suspected that a few more extremists could have sustained injury in the one-hour exchange of fire.
Kumar said a search operation has been launched in the area to nab other members of the group who fled.
"We suspect the camp was a permanent set up to train the rebels," he added.
The incident took place barely less than a week after an encounter in Saraikela police station area in Bolangir district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price