"Maoist violence may come down if Orissa honours agreement"
Bhubaneswar: Naxal-selected mediators who
held negotiation for safe release of R Vineel Krishna after
his abduction by Maoists in February, on Wednesday said violence may
come down in Orissa if the state government honours agreement
made during the hostage crisis.
This was stated by Prof Hargopal at a convention here
on implementation of 14-point pact between Orissa government
and the mediators. Hargopal was one of the three mediators who
played a key role in safe release of the then Malkangiri
district collector and a junior engineer from Maoists.
His statement on Maoist violence came a day after
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik asked Maoists to abjure
"We should talk about violence by both sides, the state
government and the ultras. If the state stops violence,
Maoists will be forced to stop it," he said.
Orissa`s home secretary U N Behera, on the other hand,
claimed that the Maoists have gunned down at least eight
innocent persons in last 90 days when the state had stopped
any kind of coercive action against ultras as per the
agreement with mediators.
This apart, Behera said the ultras have also killed at
least nine security personnel of neighbouring Chhattisgarh at
a place bordering Orissa.
Speaking at the convention, two mediators Hargopal and
Dandapani Mohanty as also Maoist sympathiser V V Rao, said it
would be wrong to blame the naxals alone for the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow