Maoists blow up police post in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: Maoists blew up a police post in Orissa`s Keonjhar district during the weeklong anniversary celebration of their military wing, People`s Liberation of Guerilla Army (PLGA), police said on Friday.
About 20-30 rebels on Thursday night blasted the abandoned police post at Banspal village using a landmine when nobody was inside, state`s inspector general of police (operation) Sanjeev Marik said.
"It was a one-room house and the front portion of it has been damaged," Marik told a news agency.
The district headquarter of Keonjhar is 235 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
The Maoists began the anniversary celebrations of PLGA Thursday. They are trying to recruit people to increase their numbers by putting posters and leaflets in various places.
Maoists, who have presence in more then half of Orissa, blew up an ambulance in communally-sensitive Kandhamal district November 27, killing all its five occupants. The rebels also killed a contractor in the area November 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi