Maoists fire, detonate landmine during security operation in Odisha
Malkangiri: A team of security personnel returning from an operation in a Maoist stronghold escaped unscathed after the ultras fired at them and also detonated a landmine in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Saturday.
The Maoists fired on the security personnel returning from Kanaguda village, considered a Maoist den, from nearby hills with the exchange of fire continuing for about two hours, Kalimela police station in-charge Surendra Kumar Nayak said.
The police fired 70 rounds at the Maoists, some of whom were suspected to have been injured, Nayak said.
A powerful landmine was also detonated by the Maoists at Gamphakonda area nearby, but the security forces comprising the BSF, Special Operation Group of the Orissa police and local police, had safely passed the area, he said.
The remnants of the exploded landmine were collected by scientific experts in the team.
The villagers apparently had prior information about the raid and had fled before the arrival of the security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you