Maoists fire, detonate landmine during security operation in Odisha
Malkangiri: A team of security personnel returning from an operation in a Maoist stronghold escaped unscathed after the ultras fired at them and also detonated a landmine in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Saturday.
The Maoists fired on the security personnel returning from Kanaguda village, considered a Maoist den, from nearby hills with the exchange of fire continuing for about two hours, Kalimela police station in-charge Surendra Kumar Nayak said.
The police fired 70 rounds at the Maoists, some of whom were suspected to have been injured, Nayak said.
A powerful landmine was also detonated by the Maoists at Gamphakonda area nearby, but the security forces comprising the BSF, Special Operation Group of the Orissa police and local police, had safely passed the area, he said.
The remnants of the exploded landmine were collected by scientific experts in the team.
The villagers apparently had prior information about the raid and had fled before the arrival of the security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued