Maoists fire, detonate landmine during security operation in Odisha
Malkangiri: A team of security personnel returning from an operation in a Maoist stronghold escaped unscathed after the ultras fired at them and also detonated a landmine in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Saturday.
The Maoists fired on the security personnel returning from Kanaguda village, considered a Maoist den, from nearby hills with the exchange of fire continuing for about two hours, Kalimela police station in-charge Surendra Kumar Nayak said.
The police fired 70 rounds at the Maoists, some of whom were suspected to have been injured, Nayak said.
A powerful landmine was also detonated by the Maoists at Gamphakonda area nearby, but the security forces comprising the BSF, Special Operation Group of the Orissa police and local police, had safely passed the area, he said.
The remnants of the exploded landmine were collected by scientific experts in the team.
The villagers apparently had prior information about the raid and had fled before the arrival of the security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why