Maoists fire, detonate landmine during security operation in Odisha
Malkangiri: A team of security personnel returning from an operation in a Maoist stronghold escaped unscathed after the ultras fired at them and also detonated a landmine in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Saturday.
The Maoists fired on the security personnel returning from Kanaguda village, considered a Maoist den, from nearby hills with the exchange of fire continuing for about two hours, Kalimela police station in-charge Surendra Kumar Nayak said.
The police fired 70 rounds at the Maoists, some of whom were suspected to have been injured, Nayak said.
A powerful landmine was also detonated by the Maoists at Gamphakonda area nearby, but the security forces comprising the BSF, Special Operation Group of the Orissa police and local police, had safely passed the area, he said.
The remnants of the exploded landmine were collected by scientific experts in the team.
The villagers apparently had prior information about the raid and had fled before the arrival of the security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal