Maoists gun down tribal police officer
Malkangiri: Maoists gunned down a tribal special police officer(SPO) in Odisha`s Malkangiri district after he did not heed to their threat to quit his job, police said on Saturday.
A group of about 20 armed ultras attacked the house of Kanhu Charan Madhi(25) at Kattakonda village at Kalimela area around mid-night last night and shot him dead.
Inspector in-charge of Kalimela police station S K Nayak said the Maoists, who had first returned as they did not find Madhi at his house, came back a little later and shot down the SPO who was sleeping on the verandah.
The victim, who was posted in the district headquarter here had been in the target list of the Maoists for quite some time. The red rebels had asked him to quit the SPO`s job and leave the village, the police said.
Madhi had been posted in Malkangiri in view of the threat. He had, however, taken leave and gone to his village to meet his family members and wife who had delivered a baby a few of days ago, the police said.
Combing by security forces in the area was intensified after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'