Maoists gun down tribal police officer
Malkangiri: Maoists gunned down a tribal special police officer(SPO) in Odisha`s Malkangiri district after he did not heed to their threat to quit his job, police said on Saturday.
A group of about 20 armed ultras attacked the house of Kanhu Charan Madhi(25) at Kattakonda village at Kalimela area around mid-night last night and shot him dead.
Inspector in-charge of Kalimela police station S K Nayak said the Maoists, who had first returned as they did not find Madhi at his house, came back a little later and shot down the SPO who was sleeping on the verandah.
The victim, who was posted in the district headquarter here had been in the target list of the Maoists for quite some time. The red rebels had asked him to quit the SPO`s job and leave the village, the police said.
Madhi had been posted in Malkangiri in view of the threat. He had, however, taken leave and gone to his village to meet his family members and wife who had delivered a baby a few of days ago, the police said.
Combing by security forces in the area was intensified after the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed