Maoists gun down tribal police officer
Malkangiri: Maoists gunned down a tribal special police officer(SPO) in Odisha`s Malkangiri district after he did not heed to their threat to quit his job, police said on Saturday.
A group of about 20 armed ultras attacked the house of Kanhu Charan Madhi(25) at Kattakonda village at Kalimela area around mid-night last night and shot him dead.
Inspector in-charge of Kalimela police station S K Nayak said the Maoists, who had first returned as they did not find Madhi at his house, came back a little later and shot down the SPO who was sleeping on the verandah.
The victim, who was posted in the district headquarter here had been in the target list of the Maoists for quite some time. The red rebels had asked him to quit the SPO`s job and leave the village, the police said.
Madhi had been posted in Malkangiri in view of the threat. He had, however, taken leave and gone to his village to meet his family members and wife who had delivered a baby a few of days ago, the police said.
Combing by security forces in the area was intensified after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda