Maoists gun down villager in Koraput
Koraput: Maoists gunned down a villager on the suspicion of being a police informer at Tentuligumma village in Koraput district, police said on Thursday.
The deceased has been identified as Balaram Naik (35), a marginal farmer.
A group of armed Maoists swooped down on the home of Naik at Tentuligumma late last night and asked him to follow them.
Villagers spotted the bullet-riddled body of Naik lying in a pool of blood at a distance of about two kilometres from the village this morning, sources added.
The Maoists have fired two rounds at him and the reason behind the killing is under investigation, said SDPO Jeypore Utkal Ranjan Das.
However, a Maoist letter recovered from the crime spot alleged that Naik was working as a police informer.
The deceased was neither our informer nor we have ever received any information from him. Reason behind the murder is yet to be ascertained, the SDPO said.
Meanwhile, security personnel removed the road blockades put up by Maoists between Narayanpatna-Bandhugaon on Thursday. The rebels during the observation of their two-day bandh call on April 20 and 21 had blocked the road by felling roadside trees to obstruct traffic.
Our road sensitisation work is on to ascertain whether the rebels have planted any mines on the road, said SDPO, Laxmipur, Y Jagannath Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam