Maoists kill BJD worker in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Suspected Maoists have killed a worker of Odisha`s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) in Sundergarh district a few hours after kidnapping him, police said Sunday.
The bullet-riddled body of 43-year-old Hardeep Singh was found near Bileigarh village, about 450 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
Sub-divisional police officer Sushil Panigrahi said Singh was a contractor and an active BJD member.
"He was engaged in the construction of a road in the region," Panigrahi told IANS.
Citing eyewitnesses, he said two people picked up Singh Saturday evening while he was on his way to home from a construction site. They took him to a nearby forest.
People`s Liberation Front of India, a Maoist group active on the Odisha-Jharkhand border, claimed responsibility for killing Singh in a leaflet left near his body, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country