Maoists kill BJD worker in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Suspected Maoists have killed a worker of Odisha`s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) in Sundergarh district a few hours after kidnapping him, police said Sunday.
The bullet-riddled body of 43-year-old Hardeep Singh was found near Bileigarh village, about 450 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
Sub-divisional police officer Sushil Panigrahi said Singh was a contractor and an active BJD member.
"He was engaged in the construction of a road in the region," Panigrahi told IANS.
Citing eyewitnesses, he said two people picked up Singh Saturday evening while he was on his way to home from a construction site. They took him to a nearby forest.
People`s Liberation Front of India, a Maoist group active on the Odisha-Jharkhand border, claimed responsibility for killing Singh in a leaflet left near his body, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured