Maoists kill BJD worker in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Suspected Maoists have killed a worker of Odisha`s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) in Sundergarh district a few hours after kidnapping him, police said Sunday.
The bullet-riddled body of 43-year-old Hardeep Singh was found near Bileigarh village, about 450 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
Sub-divisional police officer Sushil Panigrahi said Singh was a contractor and an active BJD member.
"He was engaged in the construction of a road in the region," Panigrahi told IANS.
Citing eyewitnesses, he said two people picked up Singh Saturday evening while he was on his way to home from a construction site. They took him to a nearby forest.
People`s Liberation Front of India, a Maoist group active on the Odisha-Jharkhand border, claimed responsibility for killing Singh in a leaflet left near his body, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!