Maoists kill SPO in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Maoists gunned down a Special Police Officer (SPO) and injured another in Odisha`s Malkangiri district where `Martyrs Week` is being observed by the rebels.
A group of ultras attacked two SPOs when they were patrolling in a local market at Padia, about 70 km from Malkangiri, and fired at them, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
The two police personnel returned the fire, but SPO Ajit Sodi (22) was killed while his colleague Lachma Madkami was critically injured in the attack, he said.
The injured was admitted to hospital.
A combing operation has been launched to track down the culprits.
Meanwhile, on the second day of the `Martyrs Week`, movement of vehicles was dusrupted with the termination of long and short-distance passenger buses for security reasons in districts like Malkangiri, Koraput, Rayagada, Gajapati and Kandhamal, official sources said.
Trucks and other private vehicles also remained off the road while shops and business establishments downed their shutter in several interior areas though urban centres saw usual commercial activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?