Maoists kill SPO in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Maoists gunned down a Special Police Officer (SPO) and injured another in Odisha`s Malkangiri district where `Martyrs Week` is being observed by the rebels.
A group of ultras attacked two SPOs when they were patrolling in a local market at Padia, about 70 km from Malkangiri, and fired at them, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
The two police personnel returned the fire, but SPO Ajit Sodi (22) was killed while his colleague Lachma Madkami was critically injured in the attack, he said.
The injured was admitted to hospital.
A combing operation has been launched to track down the culprits.
Meanwhile, on the second day of the `Martyrs Week`, movement of vehicles was dusrupted with the termination of long and short-distance passenger buses for security reasons in districts like Malkangiri, Koraput, Rayagada, Gajapati and Kandhamal, official sources said.
Trucks and other private vehicles also remained off the road while shops and business establishments downed their shutter in several interior areas though urban centres saw usual commercial activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'
- At least 13 dead in Vietnam bus smash
- Sonakshi Sinha does not believe in gender discrimination!
- SALUTE! This boy from UP's Mainpuri has no arms but secured 71.8% in 10th board exams - WATCH interview