Maoists kill village chief in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Maoists have killed a tribal politician in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, police said Wednesday.
About 25 armed rebels dragged 50-year-old Madhav Kirsani from his house at Kurmanur village under Kalimela police station`s jurisdiction late Tuesday night and shot him at close range, district Superintendent of Police Akhileshwar Singh said.
The villagers spotted the body and informed the police Wednesday, he said.
Kirsani, a popular tribal leader in the area, was the sarpanch (village council chief) of the local panchayat, he added.
Maoists are active in more than half of the state`s 30 districts. Malkangiri district, over 600 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, is a Maoist stronghold. Kurmanur village is close to Odisha`s border with Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof