Maoists kill village panchayat member
Malkangiri (Odisha): Maoists killed a village panchayat member, but released two others after abducting them from Mathili area of Odisha`s Malkangiri during the state police chief visit to the district.
The body of Budha Dharua, naib Sarpanch of Mahupadar village, was found on a forest road this morning with his throat slit, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
Armed ultras had abducted Dharua and two others from Mahupadar village on Wednesday night. While Dharua was believed to have been killed last night on the suspicion of being a police informer, the other two -- Buduram Nayak and Mansai Karla - were released by the red rebels.
The killing was suspected to have been committed by Maoists from neighbouring Chhattisgarh who apparently suspected the naib sarpanch to be passing on information about rebel activities to the police, sources said.
The killing coincided with the visit of state DGP Prakash Mishra to the Maoist affected district and other places in the region.
This incident was second of its kind in last 15 days.
On May 25, the rebels abducted three persons of Kyang area under Mathili police station and killed two of them and freed one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees