Maoists killed 48 civilians in Orissa in 19 months
Bhubaneswar: At least 48 civilians were
killed in Maoist-related violence in Orissa while 302 red
rebels were arrested during a span of 19 months, chief
minister Naveen Patnaik said today.
Replying to a question in the assembly, he said 48
civilians were killed in 2009 and 2010 (upto July 7, 2010).
While highest number of 87 Maoists were arrested in
Sundargarh district during their period, it was followed by 48
in Mayurbhanj district, 46 in Rayagada, 33 in Keojhar, 30 each
in Koraput and Malkangiri districts, 14 in Gajapati district,
6 in Sambalpur, three each in Khurda and Jajpur districts and
one each in Kandhamal and Jagatsinghpur districts.
However, no ultra was arrested in Nayagarh, Ganjam,
Dhenkanal and Deogarh districts even as the four districts
were identified as Naxalite infested.
Since Left Wing Extremism (LWE) had emerged as a
national problem, both the Centre and the state government
were working in tandem to end the menace, the chief minister
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra