Maoists killed 48 civilians in Orissa in 19 months
Bhubaneswar: At least 48 civilians were
killed in Maoist-related violence in Orissa while 302 red
rebels were arrested during a span of 19 months, chief
minister Naveen Patnaik said today.
Replying to a question in the assembly, he said 48
civilians were killed in 2009 and 2010 (upto July 7, 2010).
While highest number of 87 Maoists were arrested in
Sundargarh district during their period, it was followed by 48
in Mayurbhanj district, 46 in Rayagada, 33 in Keojhar, 30 each
in Koraput and Malkangiri districts, 14 in Gajapati district,
6 in Sambalpur, three each in Khurda and Jajpur districts and
one each in Kandhamal and Jagatsinghpur districts.
However, no ultra was arrested in Nayagarh, Ganjam,
Dhenkanal and Deogarh districts even as the four districts
were identified as Naxalite infested.
Since Left Wing Extremism (LWE) had emerged as a
national problem, both the Centre and the state government
were working in tandem to end the menace, the chief minister
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof