Maoists killed 48 civilians in Orissa in 19 months
Bhubaneswar: At least 48 civilians were
killed in Maoist-related violence in Orissa while 302 red
rebels were arrested during a span of 19 months, chief
minister Naveen Patnaik said today.
Replying to a question in the assembly, he said 48
civilians were killed in 2009 and 2010 (upto July 7, 2010).
While highest number of 87 Maoists were arrested in
Sundargarh district during their period, it was followed by 48
in Mayurbhanj district, 46 in Rayagada, 33 in Keojhar, 30 each
in Koraput and Malkangiri districts, 14 in Gajapati district,
6 in Sambalpur, three each in Khurda and Jajpur districts and
one each in Kandhamal and Jagatsinghpur districts.
However, no ultra was arrested in Nayagarh, Ganjam,
Dhenkanal and Deogarh districts even as the four districts
were identified as Naxalite infested.
Since Left Wing Extremism (LWE) had emerged as a
national problem, both the Centre and the state government
were working in tandem to end the menace, the chief minister
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP