Maoists killed Saraswati for Christian support: Probe report
Bhubaneswar: Maoists might have killed VHP leader Laxamananda Saraswati for securing support of the minority Christians and expand their network in
Orissa`s Kandhamal district, the Commission probing the murder was informed here today.
"Maoists might have killed Saraswati to get the support of Christians," former Inspector in-Charge of Kotgarh police station H K Pradhan told Justice S C Mohapatra, probing the killing of Saraswati and the violence thereafter.
Noting that the minority community in Kandhamal was not accepting Saraswati`s campaign against cow slaughter and religious conversion, the field level officer said many houses were set ablaze and some churches attacked in Kotgarh area a day after the killing of Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
Though no case relating to conversion was registered at the police station, Pradhan said seven people were arrested for rioting and arson. "Land dispute between tribal Kandhas and Pana Dalits added fuel to the riot." he said.
He claimed though a riot broke out in Kotgarh area, the police were not armed as all weapons were withdrawn from the police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India