Maoists prevent holding gram sabha meetings in Odisha
Koraput (Odisha): In a setback to the administration, Maoists have stalled holding gram sabha meetings in four panchayat areas in the naxal-hit areas of Koraput district in Odisha.
"We had spread awareness about the objective of gram sabha meetings. Villagers were urged to attend the meetings, but they didn`t turn up, apparently to avoid naxal wrath.
This happened in at least four panchayat areas recently," Project Director of District Rural Development Agency, Koraput, Chudamani Seth said today
The officials, who had reached the meeting venues, returned without conducting any meeting, he said.
Out of 226 panchayats of the district, gram sabha meetings could not be held at Borgi and Langalbeda panchayats of Narayanpatna block, Kaberibadi panchayat of Bandhugaon and Onkadelli panchayat of Lamtaput block, officials said.
Ahead of the meetings, Maoists had put up posters at several places in Narayanpatna, Bandhugaon and Lamtaput blocks asking locals to boycott the meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM