Maoists reiterate demands to free second Italian
Bhubaneswar: The Maoist rebels holding one of the two Italians hostage on Monday reiterated that the government must concede to their demands, which include banning tourist visits to tribal areas, in order to secure his release.
The home grown rebels also claimed that the lone Italian still held captive by them is in a good health in an interview to local TV channel that was aired today.
Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, who claimed responsibility for the March 14 abduction of both tourists, said Italian Bosusco Paolo would be released only after the rebels feel the government is serious about their demands.
Saying Paolo was in good health, Panda assured that he will not be mistreated.
Panda, who also calls himself `Sunil`, said his cadres released Italian Claudio Colangelo on Sunday purely on humanitarian ground and as a goodwill gesture following an appeal from a cross-section of society.
He said the rebels wanted to send a positive message by releasing one of the hostages and all the demands made by the rebels were genuine.
Panda said he wants a ban on tourist visits to tribal areas.
"Foreigners or Indians, nobody should be allowed to visit tribal areas. We should not treat tribals like wildlife...a monkey or a chimpanzee in zoo," Panda said. "We have exposed the government`s policy which brings in tourists who treat tribals as commodities for tourism," he added.
Panda also said the Maoists are not indulging in violence on their own. "We are not doing violence of our own. The government is forcing us to do that. The government wants us to stay us in the forests because we are fighting for the poor," he said.
The guerrillas had abducted Paolo, 54, and Claudio Colangelo, 61 from a forested area on the border of Ganjam and Kandhamal districts March 14. On Saturday, the rebels also kidnapped ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) legislator and a popular tribal leader Jhina Hikaka, 37, in a hilly area of Koraput district.
While the rebels Sunday released Colangelo, the other Italian and the BJD legislature are still in their captivity.
However, Panda who claims to be the organising committee secretary of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist), said he is not responsible for the abduction of the legislator as it has not been done by his group.
With IANS Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?