Maoists released abducted panchayat members in Odisha
Malkangiri: Maoists today released a former sarpanch and a naib sarpanch who were abducted from the Chitrakonda area of the district last week, police said.
Mistu Khara, former sarpanch of Panasput gram panchayat and Naib Sarpanch Raju Khara were set free in a nearby forest, SP Akhileswar Singh said, adding that the two were freed following appeals by local villagers.
After the incident, seven village guards who were trying to locate them were also abducted by the Maoists on September 23, they said.
While bodies of two of them were later recovered from Panasput area yesterday with their throats slit, five other were set free by the Maoists, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside