Maoists released abducted panchayat members in Odisha
Malkangiri: Maoists today released a former sarpanch and a naib sarpanch who were abducted from the Chitrakonda area of the district last week, police said.
Mistu Khara, former sarpanch of Panasput gram panchayat and Naib Sarpanch Raju Khara were set free in a nearby forest, SP Akhileswar Singh said, adding that the two were freed following appeals by local villagers.
After the incident, seven village guards who were trying to locate them were also abducted by the Maoists on September 23, they said.
While bodies of two of them were later recovered from Panasput area yesterday with their throats slit, five other were set free by the Maoists, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Now cancel counter-booked wait-listed train tickets online
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister