Maoists set afire construction equipment in Odisha
Malkangiri (Odisha): Maoists have burnt a heavy machine used for construction work and damaged materials in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, police said.
Over 50 slogan-shouting armed Maoists raided a construction site near MTV-22 under Kalimela police station last night where work was in progress for culvert over a nullah and searched for the contractor.
As panic stricken labourers and workers ran away, the ultras set afire a heavy equipment and threw others materials including cement and iron rods, Malkangiri superintendent of police Akhilesh Singh said.
However, no one was harmed by the ultras during the attack, he said.
The attack came a day after the Maoists had killed a village head Pandu Madkami by silting his throat at Parsanpalli under Padia police station on Friday night.
The incident was viewed by security forces as an attempt for show of supremacy by the newly formed Andhra-Chhatishgarh Border (ACB) division of Maoists.
Earlier, it was known as Andhra-Orissa-Boarder (AOB) division and with Sabyasachi Panda commanding influence.
However, with reported diminishing influence of Sabyasachi Panda, Chhatishgarh and Andhra Pradesh cadres have since become powerful and bent on isolating Odisha rebels, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof