Maoists target hydel power unit in Orissa, school in Bihar
Malkangiri/Aurangabad: Armed Maoists attacked
a hydel power unit at Ballimela in Malkangiri district,
paralysing energy generation at the plant, police said on Sunday.
Over 20 heavily armed ultras attacked the unit run by
Orissa Hydro Power Corporation (OHPC), about 60 km from Malkangiri,
set afire some portions of the plant and overpowered those on
duty last night, Superintendent of Police Satyabrata Bhoi
After tying about six persons to a structure outside the
power house, the Maoists ransacked the valve house atop a hill
and set fire to equipment, causing extensive damage to some
machines, Bhoi said.
In a simultaneous attack, the ultras also damaged the
intake tunnel through which water was flowing inside,
crippling power generation at the unit, he said.
The red rebels put up several posters and banners
carrying messages against the government and police before
disappearing into the nearby dense forest, the police said.
Local residents said that the Maoists triggered
explosions damaging machines and some vital structures in the
Additional security forces were rushed to the
site and a massive combing operation was launched to track the
ultras, they said.
Senior engineers and experts have rushed to the plant to
take steps for resumption of power generation, official
sources said, adding that the project with a total capacity of
510 mw, was generating about 360 mw at present in view of low
Armed Maoists last night also
blasted a state-run school building at Karma village in
Bihar`s Aurangabad district, police sources said.
Around 50 ultras surrounded the vacant school building,
planted dynamites and blew it up, sources said.
No harm was caused to anybody.
Combing operation has been launched in the area to
apprehend the Naxalites.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive