Marandi elected Odisha Assembly Dy Speaker
Bhubaneswar: Sananda Marandi, BJD MLA from Baripada, was today formally elected as the Deputy Speaker of Odisha Assembly.
Marandi, who had been the deputy speaker in the previous 14th Assembly, was elected by a voice vote on a proposal moved by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Marandi represents Baripada assembly constituency, reserved for scheduled tribe candidates, for three consecutive terms.
Marandi`s election was a mere formality as the ruling BJD has 117 MLAs in the 147-member house.
Hoping that Marandi would discharge his duty and responsibility impartially, leader of opposition and Congress stalwart, Narasingha Mishra said it would have been proper if the ruling BJD had discussed the matter with opposition parties before fielding Marandi for the post.
Expressing similar views, BJP leader K V Singhdeo and CPI-M leaders Laxman Munda said opposition parties should not have been ignored though their number was less.
Marandi, talking to reporters outside the house, expressed his gratitude to the Chief Minister for again reposing faith in him and choosing him for the post of Deputy Speaker for a second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Honorary Fellowship awarded to Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in UK
- MSc-PhD in chemical, molecular biology to be offered by IIT-Kharagpur, IACS
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley cuts short China visit
- Pratyusha Banerjee’s boyfriend Rahul Raj Singh has moved on already! Here's proof
- Last rites of martyred CRPF inspector performed in Thiruvananthapuram