Measures against alcoholic drugs in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The recent death of about 40 persons mostly due to consumption of medicines with alcohol content, Odisha government on Tuesday decided to move the Centre requesting it to restrict or prohibit manufacture of drugs with high alcohol percentage, official sources said.
"It has been decided that the central government will be requested to restrict or prohibit drugs with high percentage of alcohol," they said after a high-level meeting attended by Chief Secretary B K Patnaik and DGP Prakash Mishra.
Meanwhile, the state Drugs Controller has banned the production of such contaminated drugs in Odisha. "There are 8 such manufacturers in the state. All of them have been banned from production of these drugs," they said.
However, the state government was worried over import of such drugs with high alcohol content from other states as their production and transportation has not been banned by the Centre, the Chief Secretary said.
The state government also decided to maintain a strict surveillance on the entry of these products through regular raids and checks at different points.
It has been decided that Multi-Disciplinary Squads involving personnel from excise, police, drug control besides, the Additional District Magistrate will be constituted at District Level under Chairmanship of Collector to control purchase and sale of alcoholic drugs, they said.
The Collectors and SPs have been asked to coordinate meetings regularly at the district level as a preventive measure.
Decisions have also been taken to intensify public awareness activities on spurious drugs and spurious liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened