Measures against alcoholic drugs in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The recent death of about 40 persons mostly due to consumption of medicines with alcohol content, Odisha government on Tuesday decided to move the Centre requesting it to restrict or prohibit manufacture of drugs with high alcohol percentage, official sources said.
"It has been decided that the central government will be requested to restrict or prohibit drugs with high percentage of alcohol," they said after a high-level meeting attended by Chief Secretary B K Patnaik and DGP Prakash Mishra.
Meanwhile, the state Drugs Controller has banned the production of such contaminated drugs in Odisha. "There are 8 such manufacturers in the state. All of them have been banned from production of these drugs," they said.
However, the state government was worried over import of such drugs with high alcohol content from other states as their production and transportation has not been banned by the Centre, the Chief Secretary said.
The state government also decided to maintain a strict surveillance on the entry of these products through regular raids and checks at different points.
It has been decided that Multi-Disciplinary Squads involving personnel from excise, police, drug control besides, the Additional District Magistrate will be constituted at District Level under Chairmanship of Collector to control purchase and sale of alcoholic drugs, they said.
The Collectors and SPs have been asked to coordinate meetings regularly at the district level as a preventive measure.
Decisions have also been taken to intensify public awareness activities on spurious drugs and spurious liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’