Medha Patkar asks people to fight for land
Keonjhar (Odisha): Opposing forcible acquisition of land for setting up big industries, social activist Medha Patkar today asked the people to fight for protection of their land, forests and rivers.
People particularly the tribals were the saviours of natural resources like land, forests and rivers whose fight for rights had always fructified in the past, but they were now the victims of forcible land acquisition, she said.
"We need land rights and not land acquisition," the Narmada Bachao Andolan leader told a meeting at Salisunan near here in Odisha`s mineral rich Keonjhar district.
While the industries were reaping huge profits, poor people were being misguided by industry hawks to part with their age-old lands at a meagre cost, she said.
Quoting Mahatma Gandhi, she said "We respect the law and oppose unlawful acts. But the very law which supports unlawful acts should not be obeyed."
"Now the time has come to question the chief minister and other people`s representatives as to what they have done to help the people in this respect", Patkar said adding separate places should be earmarked for industry and mining activities instead of destroying fertile lands.
She was here to express solidarity with people displaced due to a private industry in Keonjhar district.
The company had first destroyed the fertile land in Maharashtra, then Tamilnadu and now in Odisha, she alleged.
"The move should be scuttled at any cost", she said adding the company would be forced to leave Keonjhar as Enron left Maharastra under public pressure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'