Medha Patkar threatens nationwide stir, opposes change in Land Act
Bhubaneswar: Opposing possible changes in the Land Acquistion, Resettlement and Rehabilitation Act, 2013, social activist Medha Patkar on Tuesday warned the NDA government of a tough resistance across the country.
"Any changes in the new land acquisition Act is unacceptable to the people's movement and will face stiff resistance," Patkar told reporters here after attending a meeting of National Alliance of People's Movement here.
Mentioning about two key provisions like "consent" and "social impact assessment" of the Right to Fair Compensation, Transparency, Patkar said "the consent and SIA provision was introduced to do away with anomalies in the colonial Act since farmers and those dependant on the land were never consulted or made participant in the process of development planning."
She said the new provisions came into being in the wake of protests at places like Nandigram, Singur, Kalinganagar and other places to repeal of the colonial Act.
"It will be retrograde step if we go back to the colonial process of forced land acquisition and no regard for impact of land acquisition on the people, environment and democratic institutions which need to be consulted and their consent taken in the process of SAI," she said.
Since the NDA government came to the power, a slew of changes have been proposed to the existing provisions of environment and forest clearance, Patkar said.
"The government seems to be in a hurry but the mandate from the people need not be confused as a license to trample upon the rights of the people and tinker with the existing laws which are to protect life, livelihood and environment," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog