Mediators ask Naveen to honour agreement with Maoists
Bhubaneswar: Asking Orissa Chief Minister
Naveen Patnaik to honour the agreement between them and the
state government to end the hostage crisis in February, three
mediators on Friday deamnded immediate release of 600 tribals and
a halt to coercive action against rebels.
"It is six weeks since the agreement was reached, but
no serious step was taken. On the contrary there were several
instances which go against the very sprit of the agreement," a
letter to Patnaik signed by the three mediators - Prof G
Hargopal, Prof R S Rao and Dandapani Mohanty, said.
The three had signed an agreement with state
government representatives for fulfilment of 14 demands made
by Maoists who had held Malkangiri collector R Vineel Krishna
and Junior Engineer Pabitra Mohan Majhi hostage for about a
week in February.
Stating that non-implementation of the agreement would
erode the confidence of the people in peaceful resolution of
crisis, they said it could affect the credibility and
legitimacy of the state power.
Besides assuring the mediators that the pact would be
fully honoured, Patnaik had also announced it on the floor
of the assembly, they said.
Citing an instance of alleged violation of the
agreement, they claimed that on March 8, the Special
Operations Group entered Harishchandrapur in Keonjhar District
when an alleged attempt of rape a girl was made.
The people protested and saved the girl, but the SOG
opened fire at the people in which the she was injured, they
She had filed a complaint with the State Human Rights
Commission (Orissa) on March 29, they said.
The mediators attached a list of persons, they claimed
were illegally detained in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video