Mentally deranged woman kept in confinement rescued
Malkangiri (Odisha): A mentally deranged woman tied to a chain and kept in confinement in a room was rescued by Malkangiri district administration in Odisha, official sources said on Sunday.
Balika Hial (50) of Kalahandisahi in this district headqurter town was undergoing the ordeal for last three years ever since she allegedly started attacking others, they said.
"She has been rescued by the staff of district welfare office after they came to know about her condition. The woman has been sent to a private rehabilitation centre for mentally deranged persons at Janla near Bhubaneswar", district Collector M Muthukumar said.
The woman would be treated at the centre free of cost and district administration would bear the expenses, he said.
Her husband was staying in a village in Kalahandi district for last several years after he suffered a paralytic attack while she was living here alongwith her three children.
Penury and family problems had a bearing on her health in the absence of any source for sustenance and she had developed depression.
She was staying with her younger daughter Rumuky Besra and the latter`s two children but she often started chasing the villagers, beating whoever came nearby and at times she even bit others, villagers claimed.
As Rumuky, whose husband had deserted her about 12 years ago, is a daily wage earner, she used to chain the woman before leaving the house and opened it when she returned in the evening.
"How can I control her unless I do it to her. Often she becomes violent and attacks others. I cann`t stay home all the time and I have to go out to make my ends meet", Rimuku reasoned and appealed to the district administration to help her impoverished family comprising her mother and two children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Would-be suicide bombers target mosque in Nigeria
- Malaysian PM reshuffles cabinet amid speculation of snap poll
- Chinese Asst Minister terms border dispute and 'some other issues' as major challenges for Sino-Indian bilateral ties
- Arun Jaitley to meet PM Modi after Subramanian Swamy's tirade against FinMin bureaucrats
- Congress in-charge of Punjab meets Sonia