Mentally deranged woman kept in confinement rescued
Malkangiri (Odisha): A mentally deranged woman tied to a chain and kept in confinement in a room was rescued by Malkangiri district administration in Odisha, official sources said on Sunday.
Balika Hial (50) of Kalahandisahi in this district headqurter town was undergoing the ordeal for last three years ever since she allegedly started attacking others, they said.
"She has been rescued by the staff of district welfare office after they came to know about her condition. The woman has been sent to a private rehabilitation centre for mentally deranged persons at Janla near Bhubaneswar", district Collector M Muthukumar said.
The woman would be treated at the centre free of cost and district administration would bear the expenses, he said.
Her husband was staying in a village in Kalahandi district for last several years after he suffered a paralytic attack while she was living here alongwith her three children.
Penury and family problems had a bearing on her health in the absence of any source for sustenance and she had developed depression.
She was staying with her younger daughter Rumuky Besra and the latter`s two children but she often started chasing the villagers, beating whoever came nearby and at times she even bit others, villagers claimed.
As Rumuky, whose husband had deserted her about 12 years ago, is a daily wage earner, she used to chain the woman before leaving the house and opened it when she returned in the evening.
"How can I control her unless I do it to her. Often she becomes violent and attacks others. I cann`t stay home all the time and I have to go out to make my ends meet", Rimuku reasoned and appealed to the district administration to help her impoverished family comprising her mother and two children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today