Migrant workers to be sensitised about AIDS
Berhampur: Migrant workers who
will move out of the state in search of livelihood in October will be given lessons on safe sex at various points including
their villages, bus and railway stations and at their
Orissa State Aids Control Society (OSACS) will launch
the project in 11 out of the 30 districts in the state as part
of its strategy to sensitise the migrants about HIV infection
and AIDS, OSACS project director A C Padhihari said today.
"The National AIDS Control Organisation has approved our
proposal to launch the intervention programme," he said.
Besides Ganjam, the programme will be implemented in
Gajapati, Khurda, Balasore, Sundargarh, Mayurbhanj, Bolangir,
Nabarangapur, Puri, Nuapada and Kalahandi districts.
The large number of migrant workers are considered
potential carriers of HIV and AIDS to the state and the
programme to create awareness among them had been proposed to
NACO which accepted it.
NACO has decided to implement the proposal in 122
districts in eight states, including Orissa, he said.
However, a detailed strategy is yet to be chalked out,
Studies revealed that the number of HIV positive people
was higher in Ganjam district, where the number of migrants
workers who move out of the state is high. Most of the persons
tested HIV positive were believed to have been infected with
the virus at their work places.
As many as 6,905 persons from the district have tested
HIV positive, while 447 patients suffering from AIDS were
detected by June end. The figures are highest in the state.
An estimated 8 lakh people from rural areas of Ganjam
are working in textile and diamond cutting factories in Surat
and Ahmedabad in Gujarat, official sources said.
An AIDS prevention acitivist Loknath Mishra said the
infected migrant workers spread the disease to their family
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand