Migratory birds land at Bhitarkanika for nesting
Kendrapara: With the onset of monsoon, over 75,000 winged visitors have made the marshy
wetland at Bhitarkanika in Orissa their temporary home.
The residential water birds arrived at the internationally acclaimed Ramsar wetland site for nesting and breeding. The arrival of local migrant birds has reestablished Bhitarkanika as one of the prominent heronries of the state.
“With start of rains, local migrant species have headed towards Bhitarkanika for seasonal nesting. Their sojourn would last for about a month now after which they would start their homeward journey”, National Park officials said.
“Around 75,000 local migrant avian species have so far arrived at Bagagahana heronry. As the spell of rains was not uniform, their arrival was delayed this time,” Manoj Kumar Mahapatra, Divisional Forest Officer, Rajnagar Mangrove (wildlife) forest division, said.
Prominent among the species arriving here for nesting are Grey Heron, Purple Heron, Darter, Cormorant, Large Egret, Intermediary Egret and Little Egret. The number of birds arriving here are on the rise on day-to-day basis.
Last year, around 70,000 birds had thronged the heronry here for their annual sojourn. Forest officials are pinning the hopes that the figure would rise this time. The birds’ habitat spread across around four-hectare-stretch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing