Mining illegalities: Apex court panel visits Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A team of the Supreme Court appointed Central Empowered Committee (CEC) Saturday arrived in Odisha to examine implementation of the recommendations it had made two years ago on the alleged mining irregularities in the state, official said.
The team led by member secretary of the panel M.K. Jiwrajka has arrived here on a three-day tour and is scheduled to hold discussions with the top state officials here Dec 10, a senior official of the state mining department told IANS.
Although it is not clear if the panel will visit some mines, they are likely to focus on compliance with forest and environmental laws at mining areas, he said.
The team has come in connection with a petition filed at the Supreme Court in 2009 by Rabi Das, a Bhubaneswar based journalist and social activist.
Das had accused the state government of violating forest and environmental law and allowing illegal mining in the state.
The Supreme Court had asked the CEC to look into the allegations.
The CEC team had conducted hearings at New Delhi and submitted an interim report to the court in 2010, petitioner Das told IANS.
In the report, the committee had pointed out several irregularities in the state and had asked the government to take certain measures, he said.
The team is likely to find out if the government has complied them or not. The panel is expected to submit a final report based on their findings, Das added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people