Mining scam: Orissa issues showcause notice to two mine owners
Bhubaneswar: Nearly a year after the
alleged multi-crore mining scam came to light, the Orissa
government on Friday issued show cause notices to two mine owners
asking them why their licenses should not be withdrawn because
"The state government has issued show cause notices to
Indrani Patnaik and S N Das Mohapatra for irregular practice
at their mines," Steel and Mines minister Raghunath Mohanty
While Indrani Patnaik was alloted an iron ore and
manganese mine at Unchabali in Keonjhar district, Das
Mohapatra owned a manganese mine at Katasahi-Kolha-Rudkela
area in the same district.
"The two mine owners were found to have been indulging
in irregular mining activities causing huge loss to the state
exchequer," Mohanty said.
The state vigilance department would soon frame charges
against them, he said.
Asking the two mine owners to reply within 60 days,
the state government also raised questions on recovery of
Rs 1131.72 crore and Rs 54 crore from Patnaik and Das
Patnaik and Das Mohapatra were not available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- World's largest aircraft, Airlander 10, crashes during 2nd test flight - Watch
- Reliance Jio gets aggressive; partners Samsung, Micromax and others for free voice, data service
- Zeta eases retail payment further with NFC-enabled super tag
- UP polls: Congress main agenda is fighting corruption, not political parties: Raj Babbar
- Himachal Pradesh CM's wife to be further quizzed in PMLA case: ED to Delhi HC