Mining scam: Orissa issues showcause notice to two mine owners
Bhubaneswar: Nearly a year after the
alleged multi-crore mining scam came to light, the Orissa
government on Friday issued show cause notices to two mine owners
asking them why their licenses should not be withdrawn because
"The state government has issued show cause notices to
Indrani Patnaik and S N Das Mohapatra for irregular practice
at their mines," Steel and Mines minister Raghunath Mohanty
While Indrani Patnaik was alloted an iron ore and
manganese mine at Unchabali in Keonjhar district, Das
Mohapatra owned a manganese mine at Katasahi-Kolha-Rudkela
area in the same district.
"The two mine owners were found to have been indulging
in irregular mining activities causing huge loss to the state
exchequer," Mohanty said.
The state vigilance department would soon frame charges
against them, he said.
Asking the two mine owners to reply within 60 days,
the state government also raised questions on recovery of
Rs 1131.72 crore and Rs 54 crore from Patnaik and Das
Patnaik and Das Mohapatra were not available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'