Mining scam: Shah Commission to visit Odisha in Nov
Bhubaneswar: Ruling out any interim report on the mining scam in Odisha at this juncture, Justice MB Shah Commission on Thursday said it was likely to visit the state again during the first week of November.
"We are returning from Odisha tomorrow. So far we have examined at least 80 mining cases during the second phase of investigation," said UV Singh, the team leader of Shah Commission and Principal Conservator of Forest in Karnataka.
Singh and members of the team met Odisha government development commissioner and other senior officers here before winding up the second phase of investigation.
Asked about the possible interim report on the mining scam in the state, Singh said "We have not so far completed one aspect of the investigation of all the mines. Therefore, there is no point in giving any interim report now. Let us complete the process."
The commission which had sought records and documents of 186 iron ore and manganese mines in the state, during the second phase of investigation, has also raised certain questions on the mining activities within 10 km radius of the Similipal Biosphere, sources said.
Though at least eight iron ore mines were allowed to different companies for mining within 10 km radius of the Similipal Biosphere, only three were in operational stage, said director of mines of Odisha government Deepak Mohanty.
"The mining companies in the Similipal region have been asked to obtain requisite permission from the Central Wildlife Authority for continuing mining activities," Mohanty said. Meanwhile, Singh said that the commission was likely to undertake massive verification and examination as records of about 100 mines were pending. "We are taking xerox copies of records pertaining to certain complicated mines," Singh said.
Refusing to divulge the commission`s finding from the second phase investigation, Singh said the commission had been looking into different aspects like violation under forest, environment (air and water), wildlife, mines and other related laws.
The team which formally began second phase probe on October 4, was likely to conduct field visit to Koida mining circle in Sundergarh district in its next visit.
The central government appointed commission which had been probing into mining scam in different states, had for the first time visited Odisha in December last year.
Justice Shah, however, did not become part of the team this time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly