Minor girl kidnapped, 4 youths arrested in Odisha
Jajpur (Odisha): Four youths, including two engineering students, were arrested for allegedly kidnapping a minor girl who was rescued by the police in Jajpur district, police said on Monday.
The 14-year-old girl who was abducted and confined to an abandoned house at Sapanpur under Jajpur municipal town limits was rescued by the police yesterday.
The youths aged around 20 years were arrested from the spot, they said.
While the principal accused, Raghunath Behera alias Dipu, managed to escape, those arrested were identified as Kharavela Rout of Sanabazar, Debiprasad Samal of Sanabazar, Manas Bhattacharya of Ambikai and Chiranjit Rout of Srirampur.
While Kharavela and Debiprasad are engineering students, Manas and Chiranjit are studying in a private ITI.
According to the FIR filed with Jajpur town police by the father of the girl, his minor daughter was a class nine student. She had been attending Scout and Guides camp being held in Zilla School premises in the town and was expected to return home by 2 pm on Saturday.
When she failed to return home by 3 pm, the complainant got worried and went in search of her.
Neither did he find her in the camp at Zilla School nor at her school. The FIR was lodged after the father got information that the girl was possibly confined at an abandoned building, police said.
“We cordoned off the area and arrested all the four youths who were on roof top of the building. We rescued the girl who was confined to a room of the abandoned house after breaking its lock. But, the principal accused managed to flee and efforts are on to nab him,” Jajpur Superintendent of Police, Deepak Kumar, said.
"We have recorded the statement of the minor girl and conducted her medical examination at the district head quarters hospital", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof